Free Web Hosting Service

Discussion in 'Hosting and Website/Server Administration' started by rage35, May 3, 2017.

1. rage35

rage35 New Member

Is there anyone of you here who knows a free web hosting services? I am using x10hosting and I am quite satisfied with their free hosting services. I like it because, apart from you will not pay any cent, unless you will go to premium is that they don't have this annoying ads in your site's pages. They uses cpanel so it's quite easy to use and they also have this softaculous installations for easy install of various web scripts such as Wordpress.

The only thing I don't like is that you are limited with storage and bandwidth. But overall, their services is very satisfactory compared to other free web hosting services.

2. Therne

Therne New Member

Free web hosting can be alright to use as long as your website of small. When your website gets to any decent size then they will often suspend your account for using too many resources as that happened with one of my old forums (post2vps) with the same webhost you are talking about.

For most website, especially ones that make use of PHP and MYSQL together I would recommend that you use a VPS or dedicated server.

3. jyy

jyy Member

If you go for an ad-supported service, then that might not happen. However, though, you have to accept ads on your website. Nonetheless, that isn't a big deal for certain people.

Possibly my websites can handle a 40 USD a mo VPS - at the most, without having problems.

4. jblogger

jblogger New Member

Free web hosting is good if you just want to do run some tests but I wouldn't recomment using such services for a real website. There are many cheap web hosting offers out there, and some even include a free domain. Just google "1 dollar hosting" and check the offers you can get. $1 a month is just $12 a year and as I said there are hosting providers that include a free domain. $12 is less than what some registrars ask for a domain so it's a bargain.

5. jyy

jyy Member

It seems like a lot of those dollar places go out of business. In other words, they cannot be trusted to be around. However, a stable free hosting company, on the other hand, might. Anyhow, I would check the age of a particular dollar hosting company before committing and if it's young, then I'd need to see testimonials.

6. Therne

Therne New Member

If possible I would recommend you avoid shared hosting altogether as the companies who provide shared hosting are expecting customers who are hosting websites just for their small business.

This leads to the providers overselling their server, leading to them often putting thousands of customers on one server.
    Lastly, you will also have issues with other users on the server running vulnerable scripts as this type of hosting often attracts noobies.

jyy likes this.
  7. jyy

jyy Member

Well, I was wondering, If I happened to buy reseller hosting, then how could I make hosting that was safe? I suppose one way would involve being harsh on those doing things which could jeopardize the experience of other users. Nonetheless, though, how could you even find out if certain customers were using vulnerable scripts?

8. Therne

Therne New Member

They are not much you can to stop abusive users from jeopardising the quality of hosting when you are just a reseller as you are not the one managing the server. The same goes for trying to find vulnerable scripts as you will need root access in order to install the software required (generally some kind of anti-virus or anti-malware scanning folders of your users and removing virus).

Basically, if you want this level of control of your users you have to run your own servers.

9. jblogger

jblogger New Member

Well what you say actually makes sense for both cheap dollar hosting providers and for free hosting services, it's always best to check out for real testimonials on how good or bad a service is. Still I think it's always better to be a paid customer because that way you can demand having support. If you are on a free tier well, the hosting doesn't have any motivation to solve your problems quickly, but once you are a paying customer they want to keep your money so the support tends to be much faster.

10. jyy

jyy Member

Having some ads might be a good trade-off for someone who is poor, yet wants to get into websites. Note, a lot of people are putting private ads on their stuff anyway and having some ads is way better than having limited storage - and especially limited bandwidth. Does anyone else feel ads are a good deal, given certain circumstances?

11. rage35

rage35 New Member

Yes. I am aware of that but as of the moment, I don't have the money to pay for a premium hosting. I am not really going into big with my current website because I know it won't last long. I am using this to generate an income through advertisements and it works for me. Though the earnings is not high, at least I get something out with that free hosting service.