What registrar do you use?

Discussion in 'Domain names and registrars' started by Rob, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Rob

Rob Administrator Staff Member

I've been using enom for probably 10 years.. I have a couple domains in godaddy, namecheap, etc.. but enom doesn't make you jump through hoops when you're trying to purchase a new domain.

2. LGNPanda

LGNPanda New Member

I currently use Namecheap as my domain registrar because of their live support and how they are so friendly as well as the sales they have every now and then.

3. Zimm

Zimm Member

Mainly, I use NameCheap when I'm purchasing a domain. That is, if the domain stands alone without the need of a hosting plan. In the past, I've used GoDaddy, iPage, and HostGator (though, I'm not sure if they still sell domains). But, almost always, those providers came with a hosting plan as well.

4. jblogger

jblogger New Member

I've always used Godaddy but after reading a few things about Bob Parsons (Godaddy's CEO, or Godaddy's Elephant-Killing CEO as a few sites name him) I'm not sure I want to keep doing business with them. What I like about them is that it's very easy to get good prices through coupons. Also I haven't got issues with any of my domains, so far I haven't needed to ask support from them and that's a nice thing. But it's the ethical side (of it's CEO) wich worries me and so I'm looking for another alternative.

Just a few days I got a couple domains from 1and1. The prices are a little more than what Godaddy charges, but I wanted to try another registrar.

5. kbam

kbam New Member

I have previously used GoDaddy but over the last year or two have made the effort to transfer most of my domains to NetworkSolutions or Register.com. GoDaddy's CEO disgusts me, but many of the business with whom I work in Arizona use them because they are a local business.

6. jblogger

jblogger New Member

@kbam so I'm not the only one getting away from godaddy because of it's CEO. I think eventually having him as CEO is going to hurt the company, because maybe the company itself doesn't share the values and moral Bob Parsons have, but there's no way people won't associate what he does with his company. That's going to be bad for their business sooner or later.

7. kbam

kbam New Member

@jblogger I agree; his association will eventually hurt their company. I think that will also be the downfall for Uber. Having CEO's who are hard to digest is detrimental to the public face of the company. So many CEOs are standoffish and arrogant, but they are often kept on a tight leash- hidden from the public. But with GoDaddy and Uber, they are given free range and it's not a good look at all.

8. rage35

rage35 New Member

I purchased and registered my first ever domain name at namecheap because I was attracted to their promo of owning a .info domain for only $0.88 for one year and it's good for those who don't have that much money to pay for a domain. I have experienced their customer service, especially the live support and it is quite good. Fast response and the staffs are very friendly.

9. Therne

Therne New Member

The domain registrar I mainly use is Namesilo as they are cheap, reliable and don’t try to upsell you services all the time unlike some other providers. Ofcause I don’t always use them as I often pick up domain names on special offer from other registrars than transfer them to Namesilo after the 60 days period has ended.

In the past I used Namecheap but stopped using them mainly for two reasons; 1. They kept increasing domain prices, 2. I noticed a few news stories of them suspending domains of people they dislikes.

10. jblogger

jblogger New Member

@rage35 I used Namecheap some years ago but I didn't renew the domain I got with them because the renewall prices where too big.

@Therne I haven't used Namesilo before but I like the fact that they have their prices publicly listed. I think I'm going to give them a try. Thanks for the tip.

11. rage35

rage35 New Member

@jblogger Really? I haven't tried that but I expect that the domain price will increase after a year. I don't have much experienced with domain registration since this is my first time but thanks for informing me about that.